Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Make a DIY Sunburst Mirror


Today I thought I'd share a project I actually completed a while back but never posted.  I had been admiring these lovely sunburst mirrors for a while, and just trying to figure out exactly how to knock one off.  It's actually really easy.







For this project, you will need the following:


1 pack of wooden skewers (Walmart $1.99)
1 round mirror (Michael's $2.75 with coupon)
1 plate hanger (Dollar store $1)
Oil rubbed bronze spray paint
Hot glue gun and LOTS of hot glue sticks


I was a bad blogger and forgot to take pics during the gluing process.  I started off arranging 16 skewers equal distances apart around the back of the mirror, then one by one filling the rest in at equal distances from the center. (It helps to mark the measurements on the back of the mirror with a pencil.)  It takes a TON of hot glue to attach them all, but be careful to put them where you want them the first time, as they are next to impossible to move after the glue dries.  Once the hot glue was dry, I taped off the mirror and gave it a couple of coats of ORB (oil-rubbed bronze) spray paint.  Then, attach the plate hanger and you're done!

And, the best part? It only cost 6 bucks to make!





Happy crafting everyone!

I'm linking up to these awesome parties:











Weekend Bloggy ReadingChic on a Shoestring Decorating
UndertheTableandDreaming


8 comments:

  1. Jean Macri CollinsApril 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM

    Wow Amy I love this mirror! I will definitely be making one for my house. I will let you know how it goes. A BIG THANKS for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, your mirror looks totally awesome! I'd never guess that you made it...it looks professional.
    Thanks for joining my party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!! I really need to make one of these; I feel like mine is the only house that doesn't have a sunburst mirror! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I have loved the sunburst mirrors for a while, but haven't wanted to put down the money to buy one. I might have to try to make this...I think even I might be able to take it on!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Visiting from Amanda's Weekend Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I'm adding it to my "must make" list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks fabulous! I can't even imagine how many hot glue sticks you used. ;) My Nannie used to have a "real" (ie. from the 60s/70s) sunburst piece...wonder if she still has it? Hmmm....

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Amy! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THiS! I'M YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER! :))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!