Thursday, March 10, 2011

When to Call in the Professionals

Sometime during the construction we had going on in other areas of our home, the sink in our master bathroom on Bo's side began leaking.  I normally like to stay on top of any repairs/upkeep in our house, but due to the chaos on the third floor, I put it off.  We did make a half-hearted attempt to pinpoint the problem by popping the top off the faucet and peering underneath, and, of course shutting the water off.  But that's where our attempt stopped.  For like, two months, the faucet has looked like this:





And, I had the privilege of sharing my sink with the hubby.  While I enjoyed rinsing out the whiskers each morning, I was getting impatient.    Some guys like to fix stuff.  Some guys not so much.  The hubs' window of opportunity was up.  Yesterday, I decided I had had enough.  I wasn't waiting any longer.  I got out my handy home improvement book (a wedding gift from my brother-in-law, one that has been used quite a bit). 


I could do this myself, right?  I mean, it's just a faucet.  It probably just needed a new washer or something.




Not!!!




So, after about an hour of breaking out every tool I thought would do the job,  and googling various sites and videos to show me how, I gave up.



Some tools are appropriate for plumbing.  Others are not.



Yes, I actually tried using a pair of tweezers and a Cricut tool.






Needless to say, I am not a plumber.  I ended up throwing in the towel and calling one.  He got here in less than an hour, was friendly and respectful of my home (even wearing shoe covers and putting down his own doormat), and fixed it right up in no time.  (He was very complimentary of my efforts, though! :)

If I could go back, I might consider plumbing as a career choice.  They charge a small fortune for their services!  And that's after my sweet talking him into waving one of the fees, and breaking out a Val-Pak coupon!  Ya'll know I'm thrifty.  I try to do things on my own before calling in the pros.  But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get someone who knows what they are doing.  Oh well, it's fixed.  And fixed correctly!

No more whiskers in my sink!  Yay!

1 comment:

  1. AGREED...they charge an arm and a leg!! ...but I LOVE when they wear those shoe covers...that is one of my pri e indicators for holding on the business card :)

    Love your KitchenAid Mixer in the sidebar...cheacking it out now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!