Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ballard Knock-off Wine Barrel Plaques

Don't you just love these wine barrel wall plaques from Ballard?


But for $69 to $169, I think not.


So, I found these:



&






I started off sanding by hand with some sand paper I had lying around.  It didn't take long to figure out this wasn't going to cut it.  So, after some reassurrance from my friend Joy, I broke out my little palm sander.  ( I'm not too handy with power tools.  I can handle the drill, but that's about it!)  Joy got the pleasure of getting a tour of my garage.  Let's just say, it wasn't pretty.  But, that's for another project...




This is not my sander. Not even close. Mine is way to ugly and old to photograph.  This is the one that's going on my Christmas list this year. Never thought I'd ask for one of these!

After sanding, I decided to add a little stain to the bigger one to give it the look I was aiming for.




  Time to break out the Cricut.  (You didn't think I get through a project without that, did you?)

This is what it looks like in SCAL.



I had to move things around for the bigger one, and lay it out the way I wanted it, once it was cut.



Then, I placed the stencils I cut out on the plaques.


After that, just give them a quick dap of paint, and you're done.  (I just did one coat, and wasn't really super careful about it, because I wanted it to look distressed.)

So, here they are!




Ballard's price:  $240
My knock-off: $4




You may see this project at over at one of these great parties:










Serenity Now Crafty Cutter PartyHOGChic on a Shoestring Decorating
Photobucket
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!Visit thecsiproject.com









UndertheTableandDreaming

25 comments:

  1. I adore these!!! Such great work, I'm gonna have to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say $4 ??!!! Fabulous knock off. Love the distressed element to the pieces. :) You should submit this to Knock Off Decor! Great work!!

    Thanks so much for joining my Crafty Cutter party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed, they do look like a million bucks. I just may try to do that myself. Thanks for
    a great post on a such a slow week in blogville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.my.gosh! What an awesome idea! I have a lazy susan I bought at Ikea forever ago that I am not using... Guess I know what I will do with it! Thanks for the inspiration! Visiting from Serentiy now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so have wanted to make this, I'm so glad you did!

    They look amazing!

    Now I'm on the hunt for circular tops and some way to do this without a cricut :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great knock-off!
    I would never have thought of doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE these!! you are so creative! i have got to get me a cricut cutter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant to ask you before where/how you are displaying these? I really do think they are pretty cool!

    Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned out great!!! I just saw these in the Ballard catalog last night and thought how neat they would be to "knock-off"...lol! Great job!

    LaKeta
    1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOH, I saw these in Ballard. Very cute!!

    http://www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! I was looking at them tonight in the Ballard catalog trying to figure out how to make them!! Do you think I could use vinyl??

    Thanks so much!!

    --Libby @mondellofam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! Yours really turned out great and I LOVE $4!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw you on knock-off decor. I like yours WAY Better than the Ballard ones. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. woohooo! love your knockoff! fabulous job!
    visiting from the circle of bliss!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job. I love knock offs. Looks and great and so thrifty.
    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been waiting for the day that someone super talented would pull this off and you did it. They look great! I just cannot bring myself to pay that much to Ballards for them. Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice, and can't beat the price! Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanted to let you know that I featured this project on my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post - stop by and check it out.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like yours better than the expensive ones that you copied!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Love Love it. I was considering this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks great. Used wine barrels are great for decoration. It can be a unique and eco-friendly decor with a high touch of elegance that is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!