Friday, July 23, 2010

My Goodwill addiction and BTW, what the heck am I going to do with these???



Have I mentioned my obsession with the Goodwill store near my house? I mean, I have to stop there at least once a week to snoop around and see what good stuff other folks have given up. This is so something my mother would do. I never in a MILLION years thought I would enjoy this. Walking into a junky thrift store makes me all but break out into a rash. But the Goodwill store, at least MY Goodwill store is organized. By color. Which is fun for me because for some reason this works with my brain and doesn't make me feel like I am surrounded by junk. The kids love it too because if they see something out of place, they go "Hey, this belongs in the blue aisle!" and they put it back where it belongs :) Keeps them occupied while I browse, so YAY for that!  Oh, and in my defense, I probably donate twice as much to Goodwill as I purchase. Just had to point that out. I wouldn't want to be accused of being a clutterbug. I hate clutter.

One thing I have learned while shopping at the Goodwill is that if you see something you want, buy it. Don't leave it lying there for someone else to snatch up for goodness sake. Cuz it won't be there when you decide two days later that you have to have it.  One day when I was dropping off a big load of stuff, I saw a lady dropping off a vintage turquoise sewing machine. Man, I wanted that thing. I didn't even care if it worked. It just looked cool! But the sensible side of my brain convinced the compulsive side that I did not need this stinkin' cute thing b/c I already had a sewing machine. Needless to say, when I decided the next day that I had to have it, someone else had already snatched it up! I'll probably never see another one again :(



Who has this cool sewing machine? Well it looked kind of like this, only even cooler!  Oh well. Lesson learned. After stumbling upon my new favorite blog, I found myself on a mission to find something old and restore it into something beautiful. So, since it was too hot out to do anything else, off we went to Goodwill.  I had no idea what I was looking for, but I thought I would know it when I saw it.

And there it was. Or rather, there THEY were...

Ta da...


Just what I needed. Not. I needed these like I need a hole in the head.  But I had high hopes for them. They aren't horrible to look at like they are. Just boring. The tops are really a lot greener than they look in the picture. Like chalkboard green. Come to think of it, you can probably write on them with chalk, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking monograms. And mod podge. And cute craft paper. The question is, what color paint? Black, brown, or white? Or maybe turquoise. For some reason lately I am on a turquoise kick.

They were pretty cheap...


Not yard sale cheap, but pretty cheap. I'd like to say I paid like 50 cents for them or something. But still not too bad.


So now I'm on the search for some ideas on what to do with these things.  So I looked over here. And here too. I swear I could just spend hours blog surfing. So addictive.

Well, I'll keep ya'll updated as to what comes of this project. Maybe one day my wonderful children will serve me breakfast in bed on one of these, sigh!

2 comments:

  1. My sister made a tray similar to this for my mom. It had pictures of all of us kids. She mod podged it up and it's adorable. Just an idea. I'm sure you'll find the perfect crafty idea to make this Goodwill find your own. Good luck!

    Karen Hues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could put them in the Land Rover?? Check you out- you've been married to Bo for too long :D JUST KIDDING!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!